European Union to Mandate Very-Low Energy Buildings by 2020

Posted in

on May 18, 2010 by Paul Karrer

Article: Energy efficiency: only very low-energy buildings to be built after 2020

This is extremely progressive, multinational legislation regarding the energy use of the built environment on the European Continent. This bill shows that the EU member states are serious about the making policies to achieve the major economic, resource management, consumer, and environmental gains possible through mandatory building energy efficiency standards.

>>> Do you think such policies are possible here in America? What are the barriers and opportunities for achieving similar goals?

Are there other areas of discussion on this topic? Please comment below.

Comments

Anything is possible in America

Monica Schneider's picture

Anything is possible in America- eventually. And, I would hope Europe's leadership in this area would inspire us to get crackin'. more specifically, as this comes from the EU- it illustrates that such policy goals can be implemented in a federal system. The EU has even less authority over member states than our federal government has compared to states- if they can set goals like this, America should be able to follow suit.

Monica Schneider (not verified) - May 18, 2010 2:12pm

Possible in a very, very distant future

Judise's picture

Just look at their current cars, their food portions, not to mention their homes - most things European are more compact than those corresponding items in the United States. Smaller size is an advantage in the case for energy efficient upgrades. Even without the new legislation, European nations are a few steps ahead of the U.S., whose citizens are ingrained with the "bigger is better" mantra from birth. Changing the U.S. mindset will take more than a federal mandate...what exactly is required for this change is difficult to determine, let alone implement.

Perhaps the U.S. needs to initiate a new mantra: "Compact is cost-effective/cute"? Let's make it a contest...

Judise - January 12, 2011 1:08pm

And, I would hope Europe's

edgardo3's picture

And, I would hope Europe's leadership in this area would inspire us to get crackin'. more specifically, as this comes from the EU- it illustrates that such policy goals can be implemented in a federal system. -Garrett Hoelscher

edgardo3 - July 27, 2012 8:38am

This is highly informatics,

Anantraj's picture

This is highly informatics, crisp and clear. I think that Everything has been described in systematic manner so that reader could get maximum information and learn many things
commercial space in gurgaon | Residential projects in dharuhera

Anantraj - January 10, 2013 2:12am

Glad to visit your blog, I

Anantraj's picture

Glad to visit your blog, I look forward to more good articles and I think we all like to thank so many good articles, blog to share with us. Franchise opportunities in india

Anantraj - January 10, 2013 2:13am

Bills like these should

abigailallard's picture
Bills like these should pursue in order to sustain the mandatory. I think it can be applicable even in America because since their country is so much progressive. buy more twitter followers

abigailallard - April 3, 2013 2:59am

Thank you so much for this

eticaret's picture

Thank you so much for this great sharing and information. It is really useful. e-ticaret paketleri

eticaret - July 26, 2013 4:31am

The EU was dragging its feet

SharrySteve1's picture

The EU was dragging its feet on approving that bill, but now the latest move shows that the officials are now more concerned about energy consumption in the continent than ever before. I went through a research paper on the legislation when I was in Europe.

SharrySteve1 - October 24, 2013 5:50am

X
You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
The password field is case sensitive.